Take the Scare Out of Your Holiday Planning
Ten Halloween Tips, Tricks & Recipes
Tricks are always good to have up your sleeve – especially throughout the spooky season. Together, Safeway and debi lilly design™ arm you with affordable and convenient tricks and tips to design and create a chic haunted setting in your own home. With the tips below, you can take your traditional Halloween décor to the next level by mixing, matching and creating edible arrangements – gifts that your guests can bring home to make their house haunted, too. The ease and convenience of making Safeway your one-stop-spooky-shop for all things Halloween gives you back the time you may have spent scouring the mall this fall.
Halloween makes us think of warm cookies, hot cinnamon cider and decadent desserts – so don't disappoint and make this Halloween spooktacular with treats the whole family will love! Allow Safeway and debi lilly design™ to inspire you, while saving time and money, with the delicious treats listed below. Easy to do on your own, or with the help of kids, these recipes and ideas are simple, scrumptious, and allow you to be a spooktastic and carefree holiday hostess on the scariest holiday of the year. Put a new spin on Trick-or-Treating, with five ingredients, max – it doesn't get much sweeter than that!
Halloween goodies instead of dinner? No, not this year. Together, Safeway and Chef Jeff Anderson will help ensure your ghosts and goblins don't head out for trick or treating without nutritious fun food packed with a festive punch. Designed for the busy parent, Chef Jeff's recipes only use five or less ingredients and can be accomplished in five simple steps so moms and dads can spend time getting their trick-or-treaters ready for the big night instead of in the kitchen! Best of all, all the ingredients are affordable and readily available at your nearest Safeway. Chef Jeff's easy and delicious recipes will ensure that Halloween is filled with nutritious treats as well as sugar-filled tricks.
Tips for Your Halloween Party
First Stop, Décor
- Perfect for DIY Décor: Create a high-style artisan look with Safeway treats by filling debi lilly design™ Illusion Vases with Halloween colored candies and a debi lilly design™ Pumpkin Spice Scented Pillar Candle. Top the piece with your choice of themed masks, for a "pull apart" interactive, and edible, centerpiece.
- Instant Centerpiece Style: A great center, mantle or "porch piece" can be created simply by dropping a layer of colored Halloween candy into the vase (as a "base") and topping it with a miniature pumpkin, carved or plain.
Second, Set the Bar
- Crafty Cocktails: Specialty cocktails, or mocktails for the wee guests, are always a party starter. Create a fun DIY self serve spiced cider bar by mixing spiced cider with cinnamon sticks, donut-hole stir sticks, dried fruit mix-ins and more.
Time to Eat
- Eye-popping, Room Temperature Buffet Menu: This can be prepared hours before the party starts allowing you to mix and mingle with all of your guests when they arrive. If you are having fun, so are your guests! Pull a big platter from your pantry and add Safeway veggies – baby carrots, sliced zucchini, and yogurt dip to create an effortless and healthy vegetable pumpkin your guests will enjoy.
- Edible Kids Crafts: Round up the kids, and have a hands-on afternoon cutting construction paper bats for cupcake toppers. Place them on a cake stand, which can be created by placing a plate on top of a debi lilly design™ Illusion Vase, to adorn the center of your buffet or dining tablet for an edible centerpiece.
- Kids Dessert Creations: Candy corn mini trifles are as easy to make as pie! In juice glasses, or canning jars, layer Safeway organic vanilla yogurt (tinted yellow and orange with food coloring), and top with a third layer of Safeway plain yogurt; add a tiny candy corn, tie-up with debi lilly design™ Satin Ribbon, and watch the kids gobble them down.
- "Hoot" Owl Cookies: These use just three ingredients! Combine peanut butter cookie dough with M&M's and raw almonds; roll cookie dough into a log, then slice into rounds. Place on a cookie sheet and with a fork press the feathered chin, and bake according to directions. Once removed from the oven, quickly place M&M's and an almond on the cookie to create the perfect owl eyes and nose.
Crafts for All
- A Spooky Splash of Décor: Round up the backyard leaves (or neighborhood leaves, if you are a city dweller), and make sure to look for spooky shapes. Brush your selected spooky leaves with white paint, draw in eyes and a nose with a sharpie pen…and Boo!…instant ghastly ghosts you can hang anywhere.
- Pop This Recipe Right Up: At Safeway, we've learned that popcorn balls are always a crowd favorite, and the best part is only four ingredients are needed. Have fun with family and guests at the craft table over melted butter and marshmallows, popcorn and protein-packed trail mix. Melt the butter and marshmallows, pop your popcorn and mix it with your Safeway trail mix. Work the two mixtures together to create the perfect, fall-festive popcorn balls!
- A Spooky-Chic Creation: To create spooky-chic vases print holiday words or images onto cardstock, or have kids handwrite them on index cards. Place your spooky words into debi lilly design™ Illusion Vases, with a layer of colorful candy to act as a weight at the bottom of each vase. Three steps and spooky-chic is achieved!
All Natural Open Nature Peanut Butter Apple Snacks
Simple, healthy snacks to prepare before the kids fill up on candy – the nutritious alternative to the Caramel Apple
- 1-2 Apples cut into wedges with seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and water, combined for dipping apples
- 4-6 tablespoon Safeway Open Nature Peanut Butter
- 4-6 tablespoon raisins
- Cut apples in wedges approximately ½ inch thick
- Dredge the apple slices with lemon water to prevent oxidation and apples from browning
- Coat one side of the apple with peanut butter and then top with the raisins
- Serve or cover and reserve chilled
Serving Size: Makes 3-4 appetizer portions
Tips: Substitute Safeway Open Nature Granola for the raisins, creating a crunchy bite. You can also try sliced almonds or chocolate chips. Substitute almond butter for traditional peanut butter if you want to try something new.
Spooky Baked Chicken Fingers
Easy to prepare and bake, this meal is perfect to serve before trick-or-treating
- Nonstick spray or vegetable oil
- 8-10 strips of O' Organics Chicken breast, cut into finger sized strips, approximately 1 lb.
- 1-2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk (to combine with beaten eggs)
- 1-2 cups snack artist potato or tortilla chips crushed for breading
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray a baking sheet with the nonstick spray
- Place the flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs into three separate bowls
- Dredge the chicken strips with flour, dip them into the eggs, and then roll them in the crushed potato chips – make sure to coat all sides evenly
- Place the strips on the cookie sheet and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
Note: To make the strips look extra scary and finger-like, cut the olives into half rings, dot the end of the strip with ketchup or BBQ sauce and stick the cut olive into place, to create a frightening fingernail.
Serving Size: Makes 3-4 appetizer portions
Bloody Good Ghoul Aid…and Pops
A scary Halloween classic punch!
- 32 ounce O' Organics pomegranate soda
- 12 ounce Refreshe soda water
- 8-10 Maraschino cherries cut into ¼ pieces plus juice
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2-3 cups ice cubes
- Use your favorite punchbowl or water-pitcher and combine the ingredients together (except for the ice cubes), reserve chilled until ready to serve, stir in ice cubes and enjoy.
Bloody Good Ghoul Aid Pops
Pour into ice cube tray or Popsicle molds for unique ice cubes or fun popsicles then freeze until solid.
Note: Floating eye balls, fake fingers and hands from the specialty store add a degree of fun to the mix.
Serving Size: Servings approximately 4-6
About Debi Lilly
Safeway's Holiday Hostess Debi Lilly is an entertaining and design expert who transforms events of any size from ordinary to extraordinary in unexpected, simple ways. Debi Lilly's belief that anyone should be able to create unforgettable events without spending a lot of money or time has inspired the creation of debi lilly design™, an exclusive collection available only in Safeway stores. The collection can be found in the floral department and includes beautiful and inspiring floral arrangements and bouquets, elegant vases, contemporary scented candles, and a variety of other home décor and gift items. A favorite "Design it Yourself" philosophy of Debi's: It's easy to go from Grocery to Gourmet using Safeway products and the debi lilly design™ collection!
About Safeway's Chef Jeff
Chef Jeff Anderson is the Executive Chef of Safeway's Culinary Center and is responsible for developing new product ideas and recipes. Chef Jeff is committed to providing a gold standard of food excellence, all at affordable prices for Safeway customers. In his role, he educates consumers about Safeway's newest products and teaches them fresh and creative ways to use Safeway products in their everyday lives. A graduate of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY, Chef Jeff is always eager to share his extensive culinary knowledge and he participates in many consumer culinary events to share cooking tips and easy recipes to help consumers create better home-cooked meals. As a father of two, Chef Jeff is passionate about creating recipes that are not only delicious but also affordable and simple to prepare for today's busy families.
As one of the largest food & drug retailers in North America (based upon sales), Safeway Inc. is an innovative company founded on a simple value philosophy: taking care of our customers and employees and sharing with them the success they help make possible.
We also adhere to a philosophy of equality and opportunity. Safeway is a team of people from all walks of life. They bring us a variety of styles, abilities and skills that make us the best in the industry. Our commitment to diversity doesn't end with employment. We also strengthen our commitment to minorities, service-disabled veterans, and women through purchasing decisions.